Many people dream of starting a sustainable family farm, but what are the keys to having a successful farm business?
In this episode, I share my 11 business rules for starting and running a successful farm business. 11 may seem like an arbitrary number, but I think you’ll find these to be compelling rules for starting and running a family farm business.
I dive into all aspects of the business side of starting and running a farm business, covering:
- competitive differentiation and farm business strategy
- farm go-to-market approaches
- debt and farming
- bridging the gap between what the land needs and what the market needs
- understanding the impact a farm business has on family relationships
- balancing profit with passion
- understanding the critical difference between profit margins and cash flow
- when to start marketing your farm business
Plus, in rule #10, which I’m sure will be the most controversial of the 11 rules, I give a piece of advice you rarely hear elsewhere. But I think it’s critical to your success, if you truly want to have a profitable farm business.
Thanks for Listening!
To share your thoughts:
- Leave a comment in the Farm Marketing Group on Facebook.
- Share this show on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn
To help the show:
- PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW for Small Farm Nation on iTunes.
- Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher Radio, Google Play or TuneIn
Credits/Resources Relevant to This Episode
- Farming for You lyrics by Tim Young; music & vocals by my friend Bojan at Fiverr
- Buy the rock classic, Stuck in the Middle With You by Stealer’s Wheel on Amazon
Thanks for listening. Until next time!