Moving to a new homestead you get to start with a clean slate. So how do you decide what you need? This week, Liz and I share what animals and infrastructure we settled on for our new homestead.
Welcome to Episode 19! This week Liz and I candidly discuss how we settled on what we needed on our homestead.
Listen in as we discuss our animal and food choices:
- What breed of pigs we settled on, and why
- Cows, both dual purpose and specific breeds for beef and milk
- Meat chickens
- German Shepherds versus Anatolian or Great Pyrenees
- Top bar hives and bees
- Garden area requirements
We also cover all the infrastructure and building we’ve done in the past year, including:
- Raised bed Hugelkultur garden (click here for pics)
- Building a tall fence to keep deer out of the orchard/garden
- Integrating a play area into the garden space (click here for pics)
- Creating a medicinal herb garden
- Adding a metal building workshop
- Milling lumber and building a barn with hay feeder (click here for pics)
- Building deer blinds
- Building a dual dog house with center “warm” area
- Building shelves (so many shelves!) for pantry, craft area and homeschool room
- Building a homeschool room with bookcases, tables, etc
- And building a woodland trail and survival practice area (click here for pics)
It was a fun discussion and I hope you enjoy it and find that it gives you a lot to think about as you prepare for your self-sufficient life. So grab some coffee and pull up a chair!
Subscribe to the Small Farm Nation Podcast
Make it easy on yourself and subscribe to the show, and you’ll never miss an episode:
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me this week for Self-Sufficient Life. If you enjoyed this episode, please SHARE it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
Finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates!
Resources Relevant to This Episode
- How to Make Money Homesteading by Tim Young
- Start Prepping by Tim Young
- The Accidental Farmers by Tim Young
- Story written by Tim Young