Many modern homesteaders made a choice to opt-out and provide for themselves, but what impact does that choice have on their children? This week, we’ll begin a series of discussing the real life ups and downs of homeschooling children.
Listen to the Podcast
Welcome to Episode 23! This week, Liz and I discuss how we arrived at the difficult choice of homeschooling our daughter.
But Liz has a Masters in Special Education and is a former public school teacher. Homeschooling her own child is something she would have never embraced…in our old life. Back before we “opted out” of the rat race.
In this episode we share intimate details about:
- what led us to decide that homeschooling was right for our daughter and our family
- the unschooling process that Liz has had to go through as a former teacher
- the fears and worries we had before deciding to homeschool, and how we overcame them
- how we set-up our permanent homeschool room (see this post for pictures of our set-up)
- the various curriculum options we examined (Montessori, blending multiple styles – Montessori, Waldorf, Reggio, unschooling, thematic unit study, etc.) and how we chose what was right for us
We also dive into the benefits and downsides of homeschooling, and what we’ve learned in our first year on the job.
And, of course we talk about the “S” word, or the concern newbies have about “socialization” of homeschool children.
We’ll continue this discussion quarterly or thereabouts to track our progress. For now, if you’re curious about the decision to homeschool, you won’t want to miss this. So grab some coffee and pull up a chair!
Thanks for Listening!
Thanks so much for joining me this week for Self-Sufficient Life. If you enjoyed this episode, please SHARE it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW for Self-Sufficient Life on iTunes. Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and I greatly appreciate it!
Resources Relevant to This Episode
- How to Make Money Homesteading by Tim Young
- Start Prepping by Tim Young
- The Accidental Farmers by Tim Young
- Get the Free eBook: The Self-Sufficient Road Map
- Story written by Tim Young